Thursday, September 1, 2016 | By: JustPJ

Life in Fredericton, New Brunswick

Hello September. Looking back last year, September month changes our life with another shot of EOI sent to NB then the much awaited ITA towards the end of September. Look where we are now.

One dream, one big push, one prayer and one leap of faith equals a journey to a land of milk and honey. A journey we never imagined, especially living everything in the Philippines (missing them all), but because of our longing to become parents to little R, we made it here.

Let me share a little trivia before I go on. I sent my EOI on 3 September 2015 and got our nomination 26 September 2015. We landed here in Fredericton, New Brunswick on 3 May 2016 and, guess what, this coming 3 September 2016 will be our fourth month in the maple leaf country. Wow, what a coincidence, LOL.

Anyway, since many are requesting through here and through personal messages, I am blogging our life here in Fredericton, New Brunswick.

WARNING: So many pictures ahead, hahahaha.

Firstly, Fredericton is really a beautiful place to live. I just love it here because (1) it is very peaceful; (2) there are few buildings in downtown Fredericton (the highest I think is at 12th floor only, or I maybe wrong, I never counted anyway, LOL) as compared to Saint John (even malls here are all 1 story building); (3) few people (Oh well, coming from a big population in our country where you can see people everywhere, LOL), its just that I get literally dizzy when I am in a crowd of people, that is why, back home, I hate rush hour shopping in December; (4) greens are everywhere (I just love nature, I'm a Sagittarian, so that explains why); and (5) most of all, no more traffic especially on Saturdays and Sundays (at some point, I wanted to take a road selfie, crazy me I know but I can't, LOL). Here is a glimpse of Fredericton with some smiley models, LOL.

One of Fredericton Buses parked in King's Place Mall, Downtown, Fredericton.
At Downtown, Fredericton during our second day where we went to get our SIN.
Queen Street, Downtown, Fredericton. Officer's Square not captured on the right side.
Also in Downtown, Fredericton is the Saint John River Trail. During our PNP days, we thought this is Odell Park but is not. You will love this spot, promise.
At Saint John River Trail. Here you can go walking, jogging, biking or just be one with nature. I love this place so much.
The Light House at Saint John River Trail.
The bridge separating Southside and Northside Fredericton, New Brunswick. There is also a walking bridge for people who wants to do walking, jogging or biking. Sorry did not shared it here just to leave a little excitement, LOL.
Taken at Northside is the Southside of Fredericton where the so-called Downtown and Uptown Fredericton are located. We lived at Uptown.
We are at the Saint John River Trail overlooking Northside Fredericton. Most houses are located here. We're considering to buy a house at Northside someday because it looks like Camp John Hay in Baguio. Oh, and can you see the time the picture was taken. Yes, that is 9:00 in the evening. I made a lot of adjustments with the time here. Back home, at 6:00PM is already dark, in here no. Let's wait how it goes during fall and winter time unlike spring and summer. This is also our First Canada Day picture.
We took this picture at the Saint John River Trail after the bridge. Breathtaking isn't it?
Okay, so this is York Street. I am so scared to do biking on the roads but hey I made it going down but only because it is a Saturday, lesser vehicles on weekend, LOL.
York Street. See how steep the road is. Going up with a bike is a no, no. We walk, LOL. 
Inside the beautiful Odell Park. From our place, we use the rocky trail of Odell going down to its main park (scary). Lots of things to do here. We plan to do BBQ picnic here with fellow Filipino PNPs. I hope it pushed through before fall comes.
One with nature at Odell Park. This is still at the main park not the rocky trail we took.

Secondly, our cost of living. I love that we get to work, pay our bills, save and send monies to both our parents in the Philippines because life here is very simple. Laid back it may be but at least we get to enjoy our life to the fullest. We basically have 3 utility payments for the following companies:

(1) Bell Alliant for our 2 cellphones, homephone (includes a telephone number, cable and fiber optic internet) which is at almost CAD300.00 per month. I know this is expensive but we have a valid reason  here which is connected with our landing so you may opt to try other carriers.
(2) NB Power is ranging at a minimum of CAD62.00 to a maximum of CAD67.00. The problem here is that NB Power is charging a service fee of CAD20.00 plus per month for I don't know why. Let's see how our electricity goes come winter.
(3) Gorham Property for our apartment rental is at CAD760.00 a month. We really wanted a 1-bedroom apartment but due to our landing experience, we have no other recourse but to get a 2-bedroom apartment. No regrets though because our Father God allowed us to help some of our fellow Filipino PNPs upon their landing here in Fredericton. All our furnitures were bought at Surplus Furniture. It is not advisable, though, to buy brand new things because you can always look with KIJIJI or yard sale upon landing. The only reason we bought ours is because we did not only sell our house back home but also our furnitures. Thus, we use the money to buy new ones here in Fredericton. Just to give you a sample look, below is our apartment here in NB:
Our apartment building along Priestman Street.
Our Living Room. I love balconies, terraces and roof tops in a home and I am happy because ours has a balcony. 
Our Kitchen and Dining Room. I believe all apartments here has a pre-installed fridge, oven and electric range, and dishwasher (we have this but some apartments don't have). 
Our washroom. Almost all apartments, if not all, has a bathtub. Hydro is included in our monthly rent. The only thing we are paying with NB Power is the heat (for heater and hot & cold shower) and electricity. 
Our master's bedroom with walk-in closet.
Bedroom No. 2 where some of my fellow first batch of Filipino PNPs stayed. The red sofa you see above is a sofa bed. Since, most of us already landed here in NB, we transformed the room into a Fitness Room, LOL. Just getting ready for the winter plus the fact that exercise is one of our needed medicine in our TTC journey.
(4) Others,  is our RBC credit cards (our only CC here in Canada). We only use this for our purchases, even on taxi payments. Since, we came here, the only thing you will see on my wallet are my assorted cards, LOL, I do not know now how to use cash here (wink, wink).

Note, that in the 3 companies I mentioned above, we have deposited security deposits on it which are refundable after 4 to 6 months of continuous payment except for Gorham Property. Why? Because as newcomer, without credit history, we are asked for a security deposit. CAD$800.00 for Bell Alliant, CAD180.00 for NB Power and CAD760.00 with Gorham Property (we can get this if and when we wanted to terminate our rental after a year).

Finally, starting a life in Fredericton, New Brunswick is a big twist in our lives. We love it here. It is so simple, very peaceful and people here are very friendly. Nature loving people will surely love it here. We tried going to Saint John but I felt sad in the end. Yes, there are much more employment opportunities (big buildings too, it's like Makati City) there but I think I am already done with city life and I just wanted to be peacefully living in an uncomplicated environment. I think I am old, hahaha. No, but we are fine here and we are doing good. Thank you dear Father God for the blessings and opportunity you have given me and my husband.

37 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for that update! You are our guiding star in our Canadian dream as a family. Good luck and have fun out there!

Ban-Nie said...

Hi Ms PJ, does your apartment already has beds? or you still bought upon moving in?
thanks

genuinelyjenny said...

loveyour blog sis.. as always :) #inlovewithNB

AVC said...

Thanks for the update PJ..Lovely pictures.
May God grant your heart's desire and fulfill all your plans.

OwlPrincess said...

You are so inspiring.. Please do post more about NB as we are using it as a guide. I read almost all your blogs and they were very informative. I'm also working on my paper (hope to be there soon). :)

Unknown said...

Hi PJ im a constant reader ng blog mo...F na F na nga ako...fangirling...Relate na relate din kasi ko sa story mo. 2 yrs din kasi TTC...I believe in God's perfect time, kasi binigay si baby ng anniv namin tapos bday gift din sa kin,kasi bday namin ni baby one day lang pagitan... Basta darating din si little R mo when you least expect, magiging playmate pa sila ng Mini Me ko.
Thanks for inspiring us. And I know someday we'll meet at NB.

Zinavo-Web Design | Web Development | SEO | Mobile Apps | ERP/CRM said...

Your post is very interesting. Share more updates. Website Development Company Bangalore | Website Designing Company Bangalore

JustPJ said...

Hi Fritz. Thank you for the kind words. Good luck too on your application.

Hi Ban-Nie. No, it doesn't have beds. Apartments here in NB has only a range and fridge, sometimes a dishwasher (just like ours) but all the rest we have to provide. Good luck.

Sis genuinelyjenny, thank you. And yes, so inlove with NB, how much more if we go around PEI, Nova Scotia, other parts of Canada and the US. Can't wait sis, hihihi, this is reality now. See you around Fredericton sis, Mwah.

Thank you AVC for the kind words.

Hi OwlPrincess. Thank you. Im happy to be of help to everyone here. Good luck on your application.

Hi BakerMom. I really appreciate your kind words, thank you. And yes, someday, see you here in NB. All the best on your application.

Hi Zinavo. Thank you.

Unknown said...

Hi PJ,

Just wanted to ask. You mentioned on your previous post that you have relatives in other province. Based on the forum, if you have relatives in canada ex. alberta or ontario. You have less chance to get ITA and not allowed to attend info sessions.

Is this true, did it affect your application?

Unknown said...

Hi PJ,

Seems you have already explored NB. :)

I have a query, I received the ITA 2 months back and have submitted all the required details to CIC. I have passed my Medicals and my current profile status is stuck at “Review of eligibility - In Progress” since last 1.5 months.

My query is can i resign from my current job even if CIC hasn’t made any decision on my profile? Have you come across any contact in CIC which can answer my query?

Awaiting your reply.

Thanks.

JustPJ said...

Hi jam pot. I have a relative, even my husband does but not immediate relatives. Thus, in NBPNP, I tick on NO for relatives because they are distant relatives. Good luck.

Hi Shival. In my case, I actually took the risk of resigning without my BG in progress, LOL. Just got tired working and I just claimed it that we will have the golden PPR anytime soon. Indeed, we got it. Got CIC ITA on December 2015, medical passed, RPRF request on January (resigned on this month), February is my last month of work, BG in progress on March, then PPR on same month. It is really a case to case basis so I do nor want you to follow it. I am just the risk taker, LOL. I do not have any contact with CIC except for CSE. When I resigned, I made a CSE on my resignation. Good luck.

Unknown said...

Hello JustPJ! I just discovered and read your blogs. Thank you very much for sharing your experiences. These are very helpful to many people dreaming of migrating to Canada. I hope you can add me to your whatapp group so I can learn more. My number is 0932-8878048.

Unknown said...

hi justpj, i am so inspired by your blog. because i am already getting hopeless with our application. btw, i wanted to chat with you. can you email me at angeli_go3@yahoo.com thanks

jdboy said...

Hi JustPJ, i have submitted my EOI last Aug and September but until now there is no ITA. sad. so inspired by your blog, i am already in a process of losing hope. for canadian resume, how does it look like?

Dyez said...

Hi PJ! I am inspired by your blog and I need your expert opinion (and perhaps encouragement also).

I started my EE Profile in August 2016 and currently have 422 points. From my research in CIC however, the lowest that Canada has invited to apply was at 460 points, and I'm still a far cry from getting there. The following are some info about my profile:

1. My ECA based on IQAS is equivalent to a Canadian three-year bachelor's degree with a focus in fine arts and creative writing.
2. My IELTS overall band score is 8.5 and my CEFR Level is C2.
3. I am a practicum and a thesis away from graduating from my MA in Special Education, but my units will not be assessed for ECA until I actually earn the degree.
4. My job experiences are: 3 years as a private school teacher; 2 years as a government worker under one of the wings of the Office of the President (job description is equivalent to NOC 1241 - Administrative Assistant); at present, I am a supervisor (junior boss) at one of the national government agencies, and I've been in this job for only 6 months now.
5. I'm 32 years old, male.

Now, the best way to increase one's points is to either get a job offer (+600 points! ideally) or a provincial nomination (again, +600 points, ideally). My problem is that my job profile is not really in demand in Canada. My undergraduate course is also a huge blah :'(. Moreover, I still haven't finished my MA, and I practically have no actual experience in my fields of study (both in my undergraduate course and my MA). I am anxious because given my credentials, I am technically not marketable in the job market of Canada.

I am thinking: will it be necessary to shift careers, or perhaps take another undergraduate course (for example, Hotel and Restaurant Management)? Will taking vocational or certificate courses in skilled trades also help, even though I have no experience in those kinds of jobs? I am anxious because if I do shift careers, it will mean cutting my income by more than half because I will have to start from zero. I don't mind working in Canada in any field even as a blue collar worker, but doing so while I am still here in the Philippines will be a huge risk. I've been applying through the Job Bank and other sites and have sent almost a hundred job applications, but I'm sure since yung inaapplyan ko na jobs eh either not in line with my experience (for example, front desk clerk, etc.), or in line nga sa experience ko pero hindi in demand (Administrative Assistant), mas pipiliin nila ang Canadians and PRs over me.

What do you think?

Unknown said...

Hi po! I've been reading your blogs and I find it very helpful and inspiring at the same time. Just have two question po:

1. Would you suggest po ba to get an agency/consultant to help us with our application?
2. How did you sign up in the Info Session of NB?

Thanks po and God bless!

JustPJ said...

Thanks Rose.

Hi Angeli. Kindly just ask question here and I will try to answer them. Thanks.

Hi Unknown 1. For Canadian resume, just google them and you will see lots of example resumes there. Don't lose hope, just pray and keep on pushing for you to achieve your Canadian dream.

Hi Unknown 2. I beg to disagree but Administrative Assistant is part of the demand lists of NBPNP stream so no need for you to take another course because it will only be a total waste of time. Why> because they will be looking not for the degree but the experience. Better wait for another information session and attend the seminar. Also, don't lose hope on your EE score, you have a slim and better chance to be invited by CIC at an EE score of above 400. Good luck.

Hi Anne. No, ours is a living testimony that we do not need a consultant to come here in Canada. We just need to be proactive in searching and reading immigration application. Just continue reading my blog. You can see all links in here from CIC to different PNPs that you can apply to and the requirement. Good luck.

Unknown said...

Hi JustPJ, I am browsing the net about NB, then I saw your blog..
This is super informative..
We just registered our credentials to immigration@livinginnb.ca and they emailed us that they will email us again for the information session schedule.
Did you also registered there?
I really have lots of questions, My husband is the principal applicant. Me and our 3 kids are his dependents..
And please add me on your WhatsApp group..
Thank you JustPJ :)

MMRL

JustPJ said...

Hi mm Lanorio. Yeah, my blog shows up when you google for NBPNP. Thank you. :) I did register in the very first information session of NBPNP EELMS in the Philippines, year 2015, and landed here in New Brunswick May of 2016. So, keep on reading about the program together with CICs Express Entry and you will never go wrong with your application. My blog is our detailed application from WES, IELTS to life here in New Brunswick. Are you Filipino? If yes, then you can give me your number here and I'll add you with whatsapp. Good luck.

Unknown said...

Hi JustPj!thank you :)
BTW pwede po ba magpa-add sa WhatsApp group?
Eto po pala yun number ko +639334909568.Tia
Maligayang Pasko!

JustPJ said...

Hi Baker Mom, kindly correct please your number so I can add you on whatsapp. Thanks.

Unknown said...

Hi Ms PJ,

I would just like to ask po,
Kapag ba may pending loan ka sa bank makaka-apekto po ba un sa application mo sa canada!? Thank you po

-Trish

Unknown said...

Hi mam.Mam i registered for Feb 19 NBPNP for Feb 19 but we havent recieve any e mail yet for the location. Do you know when they will send the follow up e mail our NOC code is 6235 financial sales. Thanks

Han said...

Hi sis, i need your advice po. We are about to start our application for EE as per advised of an agency, but i just found out that our crs score is less than 400pts and i wonder if we can just switch to NBPNP to get better chances of receiving an ITA? Help us pls. Im a filipina nurse po.

Han said...

Paadd na rin po ako sis sa whatsapp group mo po, +966538970831. Thanks

Ice_11 said...

Pls add me sa whatsapp group pls
+639228880008

JustPJ said...

Hi Tricia, I am not CIC so I do not honestly know the answer but as an applicant you have to be honest on your application. Good luck.

Hi unknown. Not that I know but I think they will reply. Good luck.

Hi Han, if you have low CRS score then try applying for PNP programs that suits you. That's what we did. Added you to whatsapp. Good luck.

Hi Ice, can't add you to whatsapp. You need to install whatsapp so I can add you to it. Good luck.

Unknown said...

Hi ms pj. Mam we are looking for an employer in New Brunswick that is in need for any financial jobs/cashier/cash related jobs. Mam can you suggest any companies there in NB that are hiring now for financial sales jobs. Thank yoi

Unknown said...

Hi pj can you add me sa whatsapp +639175205336 thank you

Unknown said...

JustPJ can u also post CV format in canada? cause when i attend orientation for canada consultancy they said that cv in ph is so different. thanks in advance

tereza said...

lease add me on whatsapp too :) +6596460796
I am still waiting for the results of my IELTS while my husband will take the exam on April 8 pa.

JustPJ said...

Hi Joseph, I'm sorry I cannot help you with the hiring. Just check on job bank. I added you to whatsapp though. Good luck.

Hi Mary Ann, just google Canada CV/resume format, it will show so many examples. Just remember not to put photo on it and the personal details just like PI resume. Good luck.

Hi Tereza, added you to whatsapp. Good luck.

Jo said...

Hi, Just started reading your blog. My husband and I are a bit confused right now if we will continue with our application. We just received the invitation to apply after submitting our CIC application last year so we're still thinking about it, leaving our families, our dogs, job and friends here makes me sad already. Anyway, my question is once we get approval in the application, do we have to go to Canada right away? or do we still have like a year or so before we leave. thanks!

JustPJ said...

Hi Jo. You need to land before the expiration of your medical. I hope you can decide what's best for the both of you. Good luck.

grizsvasquez said...

Hello JustPJ! i stumble upon reading your blogs as i was searching about what life is like in canada for filipino immigrants. this is really inspiring and i will keep reading the rest of your inspirational blogs. we are already started gathering our requirements. we already have IELTS results, but we have not sent our credentials to IQAS yet since we are waiting for our TOR. Can we create an express entry profile now even if we do not have or IQAS result yet? I would also like to be added to your whatsapp group please thanks much +639162384382

JustPJ said...

Hi grizvasquez, sorry but you cannot make an EE profile not unless you have your IELTS and WES with you. All the best on your application.

Han said...

hi sis! Are you still located in priestman st? marami po bang apartment nearby? my husband will work in BK at smythe street and we are looking for a walking distance apt po sana..I searched in Kijiji pero 1 apt lang ung nakapost sa priestman. I will appreciate your help po. thanku - Han

Post a Comment