Saturday, June 11, 2016 | By: JustPJ

I am Hired

I am finally working after sending out 18 resumes to prospective employers starting on 16 May 2016. My resumes were revised for I do not know how many times. It was actually reviewed by MCAF and YMCA. These 2 non-profit organizations were connected to us by CIIP for employment counselling.

So, before going any further. I have a lists of plan for my job hunting. (1) Plan A will be more on accounting, administrative or secretarial, and front office jobs because I have work experience on it. I have applied for 16 jobs with Plan A; (2) Plan B will be trying my luck on call centers to which I know for myself I do not have experience plus the fact that I do not really like someone yelling at me even over the phone. But still I applied for 2 here. I was invited to start my paid training with Atelka (client is Rogers) this coming 14 June 2016 but I did not accept it for the reason that I was still hoping for jobs where I have experience on it, LOL; and (3) Plan C is when we run out of settlement fund, hahaha, I will go and apply with Tim Hortons, McDonalds, etc. but I cannot still take the courage to apply and work for a job under Plan C. Yeah, the settlement fund is still doing okay, LOL.

Also, while doing our job hunting, my husband and I are both doing volunteer work with The Kidney Foundation of Canada for its Give a Gift of Life Walk  for its 12 June 2016 event. I am also doing volunteer work as encoder with York Sunbury Historical Society and Fredericton Region Museum. Volunteer work, as discussed by CIIP, will not only make a good impression in our resumes but also a means of obtaining a Canadian work experience. Improving our network is one very important goal of volunteer works. I have now to give up both volunteer works.

Going back, out of the 18 applications, only 4 of them contacted me. Firstly, a pre-screening call from Adecco to which I have not answered very well because I cannot remember what position I applied for, LOL. Good thing the caller says I am applying for the position of Mail Clerk, thus, the call. But still I cannot remember the duties I have to hold there because of so many applications I send out, LOL.

Secondly, 2 written tests from Department of Finance (DOF) and Service New Brunswick (SNB) for both an Administrative Assistant positions:



I am really puzzled why the 2 government offices emailed me for a written tests when I do not know French. They are looking for billingual candidates but, yeah, I still applied for the sake of applying, LOL, but it also says on both job posts that "we thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted." So, I was really happy when I received the mail from DOF. I went for exam and I wanted to run out the building when I saw my co-applicants. All of them Canadians. I am the only foreigner there. But I still took the test of 5 questions. One of which is to proofread an English and French articles. Wow, obviously I cannot answer it because even guessing it will do me no good so I just put a note that "I do not speak, write nor read French as stated in my application. Thank you." Okay, so goodbye DOF, LOL.

Then came an email from SNB. This time, we are 3 foreigners here. And, the test is so super easy. I was really surprised about it but here comes 1 category which contains 21 questions of French. Oh yes, your guess is as good as mine. I did not guess even if I can because it is a multiple choice. I just wrote the same note just like my DOF test. I was really puzzled so I called SNB and they told me that they thought I am billingual because it was stated in my online application with the Government and they find my resume good for the Administrative Assistant position but still they were sorry about me because I cannot continue with the competition anymore because they were really looking for a billingual candidate. Okay, case closed. I completely understand but still I am proud with my resume hahaha. Anyway, I might as well do my French lessons with MCAF. Anyway, it is free then I promise to try applying with a government position when I can speak, read or write French. I wonder if I can do it, LOL.

Lastly, a Front Desk Clerk position with Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel. I saw the job posting in Kijiji on 9 June 2016 and it says to apply personally. My problem that time was I do not have a printed resume and I do not know where to print along Uptown Fredericton. So I ran to MCAF to print (You can do computer and printing at MCAF for free). I literally walk under the rain because I forgot my umbrella. I wanted to ride the bus but I am late for 5 minutes and taking a taxi is too expensive so I decided to walk. After printing 5 resumes and waiting for more than an hour for a taxi at MCAF. I decided to walk again under the rain and went to Atlantic Store. I called a taxi from there and I was so happy a taxi came at around 4:00 PM. Yay, I have a gut feeling that I need to go and personally apply with the hotel so I asked the driver to go straight to the hotel. I was interviewed on the spot after arriving there at around 4:25 PM. The manager told me that he will call me next week if I passed the interview but guess what, the hotel called me pass 5:00 PM just as I am opening the front door of our apartment and is asking me to go back to the hotel for a final interview at 6:00 PM, LOL. I told them I just arrived home and asked politely if I can do the interview the following day to which they agreed. So, yesterday, 10 June 2016, I went back to the hotel at 5:00 PM ready for my interview. However, it was not my interview but my orientation. OMG, I was so happy I did not even bother hearing all what the manager is telling me, hahaha, because I am in cloud 9, LOL. I am finally working in Canada with a Plan A job, yey, and I am starting tomorrow. Philippine Independence Day and Father's Day is also my first day of work, so happy.

My husband, on the other hand, have had 3-4 interviews and a written test with United Parcel Services (UPS) as custom broker. He was asked to submit his medicare and SIN with UPS on Monday and is subject for a background check with his previous employer in the Philippines. Praying hard, he gets the job too but I am claiming it because UPS is requesting for his medicare and SIN. A happy week indeed.

Thank you dear Lord for all the help and guidance you continually shower upon us. I am beyond happy now because I not only have a full time job (even if I am on probation for 6 months) but my 3 months period of working is now ticking which also means that if and when I get pregnant after 3 months I can now be entitled for a paid maternity leave of 14 months. Thank you Lord, I cannot wait for that time were we can continue with our trying to conceive mode. A little more little R, a little more.

We came here in the maple leaf country just for you our little R and we will do anything and everything just to make our Canada dream come through. Our dream will not be a dream if there is no little R in it. And so, through God's guidance, we continue to dream and pray just for you and only for you little one.

23 comments:

sarkangel said...

Congratulations ulit PJ! :)

Unknown said...

So so happy for you!!! I stumbled on your blog today. THANKS A LOT FOR SHARING ALL THESE ONLINE. My husband and I have registered for a NB information session in Dubai UAE next month, we are resident in West Africa and will fly down. We are trusting God that He will do what He did for you, for us too. BTW, God will bless you with your TWINS soonest and we will all celebrate their birth with you in NB. Pls stay in touch - through your blog and i promise to check on you daily. Please give my warm regards to your hubby.

JustPJ said...

Thanks sarkangel and CuddleMoi.

Unknown said...

What is your salary ?

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing all these valuable information PJ. Your blog are very helpful and at the same time very inspiring. Congrats on you both. :) I am now completing my full app to be submitted in NB. I was given an ITA last june11.

By the way, I am just wondering. After you have been given a PR. How long is the allowable time you must move to NB? I mean how many weeks or months?

I am also a hopeful filipino.
Thankyou. :)

Unknown said...

Congratulations! I followed you since we were in canadavisa forum. Congratulations on having a job! I am landing in Moncton next month. I hope I will be as lucky as you. :)

JustPJ said...

Hi Rakesh, secret. 😊

Hi Rommel, thank you. You have to move to NB before your medical expires.

Hi Ngoc, good luck to you in Moncton. I hope to see you as well here in NB.😊

Unknown said...

Thank you for the info PJ. Just one more thing. May I know the timeline of your medical in your case? Like how many months? I am just being presumptive here because I am also preparing for my wedding early next year. I just don't want to move to NB a week before my wedding LOL. :) Thanks in advance.

JustPJ said...

Hi Rommel, right after we were nominated by NB, we did our upfront medical. You can read my other posts so you can see our timeline. I think our medical passed right away. Just be careful not to have a sputum problem because this will delay your application. Congratulations on your wedding. You should have married first before applying so you can get with you your wife LOL. Anyway, congrats again. :)

samrat said...

congratulations JustPJ for making to Canada. U have been a source of help and inspiration for many like me. Cheers..

JustPJ said...

Hi samrat, thank you for the kind words. I wish you well on your application. :)

Вероника said...

Hey, PJ,
I haven't visited your blog for last months but I am very glad to see you are doing well :)
I am still waiting (5 months passed :( ) but your posts are big inspiration for me.
Wish you good luck and of course one little R! :)

JustPJ said...

Thanks Svetlana. I hope to see you here in NB soon. Just hold on to PPR, it will be coming very soon. Good luck.

Unknown said...

Hello, PJ

I am now finalizing my application for submission. Just a few requirements and I'm good for mailing. Do you have a viber account wherein to contact?

Chris Acorne said...

Dear PJ,

Peace be with you, your husband, and little R.
Congratulations and thanks for sharing your experience.

I have read that you and your husband have relatives in Alberta and Ontario in Canada, Was it ok when you applied to the information session? Having closed relatives in other provinces, did you have a strategy for CSR and PNP?

JustPJ said...

Hi Danny. Sorry I do not have. Just post a question here and I will try to answer the same.

Hi Chris. First of all thank you. We have relatives in some part of Canada but they are 3rd or 4th degrees. What I understand with relatives is your immediate family members so we did not declare said relatives. Thus, our scores are purely between me and my husband. Good luck on your application.

lemoncraze said...

Hi PJ,

Congratulations on your job. I've been following your blog for months now and I am excited to pursue this migration as well. I have already submitted my application and just waiting for the nomination. I really hope that I can be as lucky as you.

I have a question though. I saw in the tracker that you are an accounting bookkeeper but the job that you got is on the administration. Can you give tips on how to tweak resume/cv to fit the administration bill? Or you just used your CV stating of your accounting experience?

Thank you and hoping for your advise. My work experience is on Finance but I am ok with the admin work.

LemonCraze

JustPJ said...

Hi lemoncraze. My primary NOC is 1311 (accounting bookkeeper) but with my previous work experience, I have administrative work also so that explains why. Good luck.

Unknown said...

Hi JustPJ, I have just started reading your blogs. I find them very informative for someone like me who is on the process of migrating to NB thru PNP skilled worker. I really need to ask about something. Are you still entertaining questions/ queries. I hope you will reply thanks!!!

JustPJ said...

Hi Kris Hera. Thank you for the kind words and yes, I can answer if I know them. Just let me know. Good luck.

tereza said...

congrats! :) I could feel your happiness :)

Unknown said...

Hi ! Any update about baby.

JustPJ said...

Thanks Tereza. Mohibul, in God's perfect time.

Post a Comment