Monday, June 22, 2015 | By: JustPJ

International English Language Testing System (IELTS)

Another basic requirement for the 2015 Express Entry Federal Skilled Worker Program is the language ability. It is also a must to take a language test before applying to the EE FSWP as stated in the CIC website and I quote:

Language ability

You must:

  • meet the minimum language level of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7, and
  • take a language test approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) that shows you meet the level for speaking, listening, reading and writing.

You must show that you meet the requirements in English or French by including the test results when you complete your Express Entry profile. Your test results must not be more than two years old on the day you apply for permanent residence.

The language test to be taken as approved by CIC are either a (1) CELPIP or Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program, (2) IELTS or International English Language Testing System, or (3) TEF or Test d'evaluation de francais (proof of French language skills.

I, as the Principal Applicant, is required to take an IELTS test. IELTS has two options for its reading and writing tests: General Training" and "Academic Training". For the 2015 EE FSWP, we must take the "General Training" option and must meet the minimum language level of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7. It means that for each 4 module (Speaking, Listening, Reading and Writing), we must have a minimum band score of 6 which is equivalent to CLB 7. You are not allowed to go on with your Express Entry if and when you scored even a 5.5 band score in 1 of the 4 module. Bad news is, you have to re-take it.


There are 2 test centers in the Philippines, British Council and IDP Philippines. I took the services of IDP Philippines Makati as it is near my workplace. I first registered in IDP Philippines website and booked my test on the 30th day of May 2015 which will give me approximately 1 month to review. After registering and booking online on 4 May 2015, I went personally to IDP Makati to pay my General IELTS test in the amount of Php8,900.00 through credit card.


IDP Philippines Makati has given me a free booklet of IELTS reviewer plus an activation code with Macmillan Practice Online website where I can have a free access of General IELTS reviewer. I did not, however, used the reviewer after I activated it because I believe I need to review by doing an actual practice tests.


As suggested in P2C forum, where I am a member, I downloaded Cambridge IELTS 1 to 10 practice tests, with audio and answer. You have to be friends with my good friend Google if you want to download said reviewers, if you know what I mean.:) I printed each booklet not knowing that all has an Academic Reading and Writing Tests, LOL.




Cambridge IELTS 1 to 10 are good sources of your practice tests. I also recommend anyone to use this especially if you are doing your review on your own. Answers to each practice test are provided on the last pages of each Cambridge booklets so you can actually check your score after each exam.

Don't forget to practice everyday and time yourself in each module. What I did? First week, I practice on listening module. I use a headphone in all my practice but in the actual test they use surround speakers and no headphones. Note that you have to score a minimum of 23 out of 40 to reach an overall band score of 6 for listening module.


Second week, I did reading module practice tests. In the Cambridge booklets, they only have 2 each for general reading and writing practice tests so you have to download additional practice tests. I encountered problem reaching a minimum score of 30 out of 40 in my reading practice. I actually panicked during those times because unlike listening, I only have to score 23/40 to get a band score of 6. In reading, you need to score 30/40 to pass the band score requirement of 6.


Third week, I did listening and reading modules alternately. In listening module, there are 4 sections which you will answer in 30 minutes. Listen carefully because the recording will only be played once. After which, you are only given 10 minutes to transfer your answer in the answer sheet. In reading module, on the other hand, there are 3 sections which are answerable in 60 minutes. Note, however, that you have to answer directly on your answer sheet because there is no time given for transferring answers.


In the final week, first 2 days, I practiced on writing module. In writing module, there are 2 sections. First and second sections are always in a letter and essay type, respectively, when it is a General IELTS Training exam. First section, letter part, is at 20 minutes only and in the essay part is 40 minutes. A total of 60 minutes. I do not know how writing and speaking modules are being scored so I cannot share it here.


In the last remaining days, except the day before my scheduled test, I practiced listening, reading and writing modules all at the same time. I believe we have to rest on the last day before the exam to at least clear our minds and be ready on the exam date. I did not practice my speaking test. I just put into my mind that I will pass the test for as long as I can communicate and express myself in English.


So practice, practice and practice and, also, time yourselves but most of all, pray and ask guidance from our Father God. Below is your guide in practicing so you will know your score after each practice tests.




P.S. I will try my very best to upload the downloaded Cambridge 1-10 in my blog.

13 comments:

JustPJ said...

Thank you again nancy. :)

JustPJ said...

Thank you Emma and english language.

Anonymous said...

IELTS only support the convenience of English knowledge to allover the world.

How to get good score in IELTS in 10 days

Nickole Dinardo said...

Amazing links.

sara said...

IELTS is designed to assess the language ability of candidates who need to study or work where English is the language of communication.


ielts vocabulary

Unknown said...

It's interesting that many of the bloggers to helped clarify a few things for me as well as giving.Most of ideas can be nice content.The people to give them a good shake to get your point and across the command .
IELTS coaching centre in chennai

iamsimplybeingmie said...

Hi PJ,

I am currently preparing our EOI and I am quite confused on the scoring for Adaptability specifically "Your spouse or partner's language level".

I would like to ask for your help on this.

My husband’s IELTS results are the following:
Listening - 5.5 (CLB 6)
Reading – 6 (CLB 7)
Writing - 6.5 (CLB 8)
Speaking - 5.5 (CLB 6)

As per Guide for the NB PNP Express Entry Category: NBLMS, the following has been mentioned:

* If you have a spouse or common law partner who will immigrate with you to NB, he or she can earn points for adaptability, too. You can only get points for each item once.

* You will get maximum of 10 points for Adaptability granted you meet the following:
-Your spouse or partner's language level – 5 (Your spouse or common-law partner has a language level in either English or French at CLB 4 or higher in all four language abilities (speaking, listening, reading, and writing).
-Your past study in NB - 5
-Your spouse or partner's past study in NB - 5
-Your past work in NB - 10
-Your spouse or common-law partner's past work in NB – 5
-Arranged employment in NB - 5
-Relatives in NB - 5

​Out of all the criteria mentioned, ​we can only earn points for “Your spouse or partner's language level – 5”. However, how many points should I award for ​"​Adaptability specifically "Your spouse or partner's language level"​?​

Thank you in advance for your big help.

Best regards!

JustPJ said...

Hi iamsimplybeingmie, if your spouse is not the PA, he/she can only get a maximum of 5 points regardless of his/her score. PAs is different, they must have all modules at score of 6 so to have a CLB7. In your case, adaptability will be 5. Good luck.

nancy john said...

Great Blog! I am preparing for IELTS preparation & looking forward to get admitted to USA top university. I really enjoyed your blog and definitely share with friend. Thanks

IELTS for Australian Immigration

Anonymous said...

Good day! IELTS score ko po: R-7.5, S-6, W-6.5, L-7. Kapag po nagfill up ako sa Come to Canada, sabi hindi daw po ako qualified. Pero alinlangan po ko kung kelangan ko ba iconvert yang score ko into CLB equivalent score po? Nakaka-stress pala to. Ang sabi kasi don IELTS results eh, so feeling ko hindi na kelangan I-convert. Hayyyy, so need ko ulit mag retake. :'(

JustPJ said...

Hi Anonymous, just convert your IELTS score to CIC CLB Level. No need to retake. Good luck.

Unknown said...

IELTS only support the convenience of English knowledge to allover the world.
After attemting for my IELTS five times I had to get professional help and nothing like enrolling in Insearch I had an amazing support team that helped me clear and achieve my required target.

question for IELTS Writing Task 2

Anonymous said...

What is the clb converted score of ielts reading 5.5?
Do we need to enter the converted score to the cic site or still the score given by ielts?

Post a Comment